Saturday, February 16, 2008

Strings

I have gotten a chance to hang out with a long time friend this weekend and it's been a wonderful blessing! I think that last night we had the best conversation we've ever had...and I love great conversations!

As we were sharing our perspectives on friendships, family relationships, acquaintances, etc. I understood something about my friend, myself, and maybe others that I have not been able to grasp in such a way before. Now, anyone who knows me, knows that I am a text book "quality time girl." Relationships are very important to me and I view them as vital in my walk with the Lord...even vital to simply surviving this crazy life! But, the thing about relationships is that they are ever changing and have the unfortunate tendency of not meeting our expectations.

Last night we talked about strings. Some people have permanent strings attached to the important people in their lives. One woman might can call her mother at any hour even if only to share the mundane details of her day. Another woman will talk with her sister and collaborate to solve all the days problems in one conversation. Still someone else will have a guaranteed daily moment set aside to spend with a loved one or loved ones. It's such a blessing in our lives to experience the benefits of the attached strings.

But then there's those not so permanent strings. Strings that we've handed out, hoping that they would attach us and give us security and consistency in our life and relationship. We watch how easily others have established their permanent strings and we long for our strings to be attached with such promise to those people we hope will love us and be there for us.

But the reality is that they are just strings...strings that can be let go of, can be broken, can be passed off to someone else. No one can truly satisfy the longing for absolute security and consistency in my life...except for the Lord.

Psalm 145:
"The LORD is faithful to all his promises and loving toward all he has made. The LORD upholds all those who fall and lifts up all who are bowed down. The eyes of all look to you, and you give them their food at the proper time. You open your hand and satisfy the desires of every living thing. The LORD is righteous in all his ways and loving toward all he has made. The LORD is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth. He fulfills the desires of those who fear him; he hears their cry and saves them. The LORD watches over all who love him..."

When all my strings feel detached, I have to know that the Lord is faithful and loving...he upholds me...he satisfies my desires...he is near...he hears me...he watches over me. All of those longings for which I might hand strings to others... He is the only one my heart can truly depend on for security and consistency.

1 comments:

Tobi Mac said...

I love it. Thanks for articulating all this so well...about the longing...and the strings...and the truth that God alone is enough. And I'm glad I know where to tune into your heart now...the beauty of blogging...