Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Division Distress

I have been thinking a lot about the ins and outs of division versus unity within the body. It's such a phenomenon: observing unity that suddenly falls into a mess of division. Today I was thinking about how division occurs often because two parties have differing thoughts or convictions about a certain topic. I've learned, though, that both parties feel...maybe even are...validated in their convictions.

So I ask the question: How do you find unity in these cases?

I asked this question of the Lord today and He directed me to several truths. The first is that Jesus is the Way, the Truth, and the Life. He alone is the path and destination of unity, when division sends us in all different directions. He alone is the source of truth, when the confusion of divisiveness rears its ugly head. He alone is life, when division threatens to bring death and destruction. In our distress it is so easy to feel consumed by division...but Jesus is the Way, the Truth, and the Life, and He overcomes all of the desperation that comes with division.

The Lord also reminded me of Romans 15 today. I memorized versus 5 and 6 when I was in Phi Lamb in college and they have always stuck with me. Today, however, several different things struck me. First, from the beginning of the chapter, it is clear that Paul's focus is toward being a Servant as Jesus was a servant...not trying to please himself. Second, in reading Paul's words to the church, I could see that although division digs such a hole of hopelessness and exhaustion, there is a promise of HOPE! Through the endurance and encouragement of the scriptures we find HOPE. Lastly, there again is a focus on the Way, the Truth and the Life...Jesus! God grants us a spirit of unity as we follow Jesus...as we seek His leadership, direction, and provision.

I continue to pray, as Jesus did, that we would be as one! As the children's song says, "There is One way to Peace through the Power of the Cross...His banner over me is Love."

0 comments: